Algo is advising its customers to become aware of a form of fraud that allows hackers to use a business’s telephone and voicemail system, and default or simple passwords, to place toll calls without the knowledge or permission of the business. Telephone fraud will cost your business thousands of dollars in toll calls to off shore locations.
How It Works
The hacker calls into a voicemail system and searches for voice mailboxes that still have the default passwords active or have passwords with easily guessed combinations like 1-2-3-4. The hacker then uses the password to access the phone system and make long distance toll calls. If the hacked mailbox has out-dial capability enabled, the hacker can access the admin menu within the mailbox and set up an outbound transfer to dial any toll number they wish to call. The hacker then hangs up, dials back into the mailbox they just hacked and presses the digits required to utilize the outbound transfer capability.
The hacker then uses this connection for long periods of time to make toll calls.
What to Be Aware of
- Hackers usually break into voicemail systems during holiday periods or weekends, when call volume is minimal; thus changing of the outgoing message goes unnoticed.
- If your voicemail system is locked out, this may be an indication that your mailbox has been tampered with.
- Businesses that are victimized usually find out about the hackers when their phone company calls to report unusual activity or exceptionally high phone bills.
What Businesses Can Do to Protect Themselves
Ensure that the suggestions from your Algo Trainer are implemented, such as:
- When your phone system is installed, change your default password immediately
- Change your password on a regular basis
- Increase password length and prohibit the use of simple passwords such as 123 or 2222
- Limit the number of consecutive login attempts to 5 or less before the mailbox system locks
- Delete all inactive mailboxes
- Restrict access to directions on how to get into the voicemail system
- Ensure software updates are applied regularly
An Algo Technician can attend your site to conduct a security audit on your telephone and voicemail systems for a minimum $135.00 per hour charge. Please contact the Algo Service Department at 604-438-3044 to schedule this service.
4500 Beedie Street
Burnaby, BC Canada V5J 5L2