Algo Communication Products is proud to support our customers with the latest in visual communications…Video Conferencing. This is a fantastic substitute for face-to-face interactions and has the key benefits of: [Read more…]
Today most of your clients, colleagues and stakeholders are just a phone call or email away – technology has made communication that simple. However, while tools like telephones and computers score high on convenience and speed, they lack the warmth that face-to-face communication provides. [Read more…]
Algo is advising its customers to become aware of a form of fraud that allows hackers to use a business’s telephone and voicemail system, and default or simple passwords, to place toll calls without the knowledge or permission of the business. Telephone fraud will cost your business thousands of dollars in toll calls to off shore locations.
How It Works
The hacker calls into a voicemail system and searches for voice mailboxes that still have the default passwords active or have passwords with easily guessed combinations like 1-2-3-4. The hacker then uses the password to access the phone system and make long distance toll calls. If the hacked mailbox has out-dial capability enabled, the hacker can access the admin menu within the mailbox and set up an outbound transfer to dial any toll number they wish to call. The hacker then hangs up, dials back into the mailbox they just hacked and presses the digits required to utilize the outbound transfer capability.
The hacker then uses this connection for long periods of time to make toll calls.
What to Be Aware of
- Hackers usually break into voicemail systems during holiday periods or weekends, when call volume is minimal; thus changing of the outgoing message goes unnoticed.
- If your voicemail system is locked out, this may be an indication that your mailbox has been tampered with.
- Businesses that are victimized usually find out about the hackers when their phone company calls to report unusual activity or exceptionally high phone bills.
What Businesses Can Do to Protect Themselves
Ensure that the suggestions from your Algo Trainer are implemented, such as:
- When your phone system is installed, change your default password immediately
- Change your password on a regular basis
- Increase password length and prohibit the use of simple passwords such as 123 or 2222
- Limit the number of consecutive login attempts to 5 or less before the mailbox system locks
- Delete all inactive mailboxes
- Restrict access to directions on how to get into the voicemail system
- Ensure software updates are applied regularly
An Algo Technician can attend your site to conduct a security audit on your telephone and voicemail systems for a minimum $135.00 per hour charge. Please contact the Algo Service Department at 604-438-3044 to schedule this service.
4500 Beedie Street
Burnaby, BC Canada V5J 5L2
Linda Chow, Customer Service Representative, has retired after 17 years of service with Algo. During her time at Algo, Linda handled service requests from Algo’s 4,000 customers. Linda was responsible for the scheduling and dispatching of 10 technicians. By knowing and understanding where each technician was at any point during the day, Linda could ensure a quick response should an urgent service call come in. There is probably nothing more stressful for our customers than to have a telephone system suddenly stop processing calls! Linda understood the urgency and always handled calls quickly and calmly. [Read more…]
Unified Communications brings together communication solutions into a single resource to help employees, customers, and partners communicate quickly and easily. By bringing together voice, video, IM, mobility and collaboration capabilities, your organization can: [Read more…]